8 inch floppy head pad adjustment

Chris Zach cz at alembic.crystel.com
Fri Oct 9 19:17:30 CDT 2020

Thanks Jeff! Yep, one of the odd things about 8 inch floppies is they
are always spinning (at least on RX01/02 drives) and thus the disc is
always turning in the sleeve, and if the head is engaged it will wear down.

What they do is have a head on one side, and on the other is the
solenoid with the shoe. Mine was way too low, so the head was basically
always pressed into the disc. It's better now, and doesn't seem to be
doing damage.

Sort of. One thing I am noticing is a lot of these disks came from the
old Solarex plant. They have a lot of "data" that is probably test
results from the wafer cutting systems and I'm debating keeping it. More
to the point most of the disks are RX02 format so I can't read them with
this RX02 running in RX01 mode (until I manage to fix a UNibus pdp111
here, that's either the 11/24 or the 11/05. But the 11/05 might only
have 24kw of memory so we'll see)

Anyway the bigger problem is this stuff was on the plant floor. Where
the panels were cut. Which means there is silicon dust *everywhere*.
Remember when my RL02 heads crashed? That was because the RL02 drive's
filter was *clogged* with dust to the point where the heads couldn't fly
and were wedge shaped from wear. Pretty sad. But for the floppies I can
see that many of them have concentric rings in the data areas from where
the silicon dust got on them and sliced into the data rings. Fortunately
the RX02 didn't come from there, but since the silicon is embedded into
the jackets it just wrecks the floppies the more they spin. So fire up
and get the data fast is probably what I will have to do. We'll see.

However I do now have three RX01 disks with no errors, and one with
about 20 errors due to a ding in the disk. I've tested them with DX0 to
the point where I am happy it's reliable, and have made one a BRUSYS
boot up floppy with RSX11M's VMR utility so I can boot from floppy and
back up the system on the TK50 drive. Better than blowing a whole tape
with nothing but BRUSYS. The other floppy I'll use to see if I can get
the PDT11/150 working, I don't know the shape of that things heads
either but I do know disk 2 is down. Oh well, never dull...

It's getting cooler outside, so I can get back to work on these systems.
The VT52 is still working very well with no hum or whistle, the repair
of the -12v supply seems to be holding out well.

CZ