9 track tapes and block sizes

Tom Hunter ccth6600 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 22:59:46 CDT 2020

I have never figured out why Bob Supnik defined the magnetic tape
containers (TAP files) with the one byte padding for odd length records.
This seems very odd (pun intended).   :-)
Even on a machine which couldn't write 32 bit numbers (the record lenght)
on odd boundaries you could write the 32 bit number as 4 individual bytes.
Does anyone know the reason?
Cheers
Tom Hunter