Soldering DB connectors

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Wed Nov 11 15:02:34 CST 2020

On Tue, 10 Nov 2020, Chuck Guzis via cctalk wrote:
> Nice tip, but I thought that most folks knew about the
> matching-connector thing!  I guess unwritten knowledge gets lost over
> the years.

. . . such as turning a bolt backwards a little to find the start of
thread?
. . . or attaching some plastics with cyano-acrylate AND running a
soldering iron over the glued joint
. . . using a large vise as a crude substitute for a press, using sockets
as drifts for pressing round objects, . . .
(all of which I have seen in the last few years as "fresh tips")

Half a century ago, a soldering work station included a lot of mating
connectors and a padded vise.  Has the use of a vise been forgotten, also?
SOME learned the hard way that using connecctors of current hardware to
hold ones being soldered carried some risk.

If you compare "Woodwright's Shop" with "New Yankee Workshop",
even significance of grain is being gradually eroded and ignored.

Written knowledge doesn't get preserved, either.  "The internet is written
in sand".
"Standard procedure" in library stack culling is to remove any book thata
hadn't been checked out in a set period of time.  A decade ago, when I was
re-assigned as one of the college's librarians, I implemented an added
step of those books being on a set of shelves to facilitate looking them
over and over-riding as needed.  (K&R and Knuth were slated for discard!)

--
Grumpy Ol' Fred