Systems Engineering Laboratories - SEL History

Tom Uban tom at figureeightbrewing.com
Fri Nov 6 14:11:50 CST 2020

I worked at Gould CSD in Urbana on the Powernode Unix kernel from '86-'88
and knew the machines were descendants of SEL machines, but that is about
it. The ECL based logic was named "firebreather" for a reason. They were the
fastest thing at the time. Being a computer company in Urbana Illinois, we all
joked about being where the HAL 9000 would eventually be born. It was my
first real job out of college, so I had a blast, right up until the company laid
off a large portion of our office in a single day. I think I still have a t-shirt
which says "Gould lost $300M and all I got was this lousy t-shirt". I wasn't
on the list, but I left shortly thereafter. The people I worked with were all
top notch and I missed them after leaving.

--tom