Microsoft open sources GWBASIC

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Fri May 29 17:05:46 CDT 2020

On Fri, 29 May 2020, ben via cctalk wrote:
> BTW Microsoft also had Fortan, You don't hear much about that.
> Ben.

One reaason why you don't hear much about that is because the
first version of Microsoft Fortran for the PC wasn't real great.
It was slow.  A Sieve Of Erastothanes benchmark compiled in it ran slower
than in interpreted BASICA (GWBASIC with access to the BASIC ROMs in the
5150)
It was written in Microsoft Pascal.
(Bob Wallace, who wrote the Microsoft Pascal, once told me to never use
the run-time library of it)
Although I used it for teaching beginning Fortran for a few semesters, in
the mid 1980s, I don't remember much about it.
("Don't use any 6 character variable names ending in QQ." doesn't help the
discussion much)