Algol W [was: Microsoft open sources GWBASIC]

Hugh Pyle hpyle at cabezal.com
Thu May 28 08:12:07 CDT 2020

The fancy arrows in Fira Code are ligatures.  (Yuk!  I'm not yet a convert)
https://www.hanselman.com/blog/MonospacedProgrammingFontsWithLigatures.aspx

ASCII-63 had a backward-arrow that disappeared in later revisions of the
standard, replaced with underscore (and also an upward-arrow which was at
the codepoint now used for the caret).  But the PDP1 arrow wasn't ASCII.  I
believe it's the FIO-DEC encoding, and used an IBM typewriter console,
https://archive.org/stream/bitsavers_decpdp1F17_28841238/F17_PDP1Maint_1962#page/n123/mode/2up