Microsoft open sources GWBASIC

Jim Brain brain at jbrain.com
Tue May 26 18:36:20 CDT 2020

On 5/26/2020 6:30 PM, Fred Cisin via cctalk wrote:
>>> Yes.  TRS80.
>

> I guess that I just have the wrong definition of "home computer".
> It is subjective, and I will concede that MY definition may not be valid.
Oh true.  I don't see your definition as wrong, I just never thought of
them as "home machines", they looked (well, the 3/4/4P) very formal :-)

> I see model 2/12/16 as business computers, and marketed as such.
Yes, indeed.

> I don't see the unexpanded cassette TRS80 model 1 as being ANYTHING
> other than a home computer.
Yeah, I'll concede that.  I forget about the Model 1.
> Likewise, the 6809 Color Computer, which could have been MODIFIED into
> something MUCH more.
I'd agree on that being a home machine, but it was 6809, so didn't fit
the question.

> The fully expanded model 1 was imminently suitable as a "home office"
> computer.  Along with the 6502 Apple and MAYBE the Kaypro, which was
> super as a home office machine, and was occasionally used as a
> business machine. Although, I was laughed at for using an expanded
> model 1 for some accounting and 6 person payroll in my auto repair shop.

Hmm, I saw lots of people using the Kaypro for business, I guess I think
too highly of it.

Jim