history is hard

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Sun May 24 15:13:50 CDT 2020

On Sun, May 24, 2020 at 2:01 PM Toby Thain <toby at telegraphics.com.au> wrote:

> On 2020-05-24 3:20 PM, Warner Losh wrote:
> >

> > On Sun, May 24, 2020, 11:04 AM Toby Thain via cctalk
> > <cctalk at classiccmp.org <mailto:cctalk at classiccmp.org>> wrote:
> >
> >     On 2020-05-24 11:17 AM, Bill Gunshannon via cctalk wrote:
> >     > ... IBM was doing
> >     > Virtualization in the 70's.
> >
> >     1968 and probably before.[1]
> >
> >     Most operating systems concepts[2] are much older than people think.
> >

> > The topic for my talk next week. Unix had virtualization in 74. The
> > second Unix port ran under OS/360's VM in 78.
>
> I thought the Interdata port was second?

Wollongong to the interdata 7/32 was April of 77. Went into production July
77.
Bell Labs to the closely related interdata 8/32 was June of 77. Never went
into production, but portability fixes plowed back into V7.
Tom Lyons had his booting to a similar level around May of 77 ("end of his
junior year"), though he wasn't hired by Amdahl unti the following summer
and he reports having the full V6 up early in 1979. V7 up later in the year
when they got it from AT&T.

I kinda lump the two interdata ports together as 'the first' and I don't
have good dates for when Tom Lyons booted beyond hello-world, or what the
benchmark for 'first' should be.

Warner

--T