Microsoft open sources GWBASIC

Rico Pajarola rp at servium.ch
Sat May 23 04:33:58 CDT 2020

On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 7:41 AM Jim Brain via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
wrote:

> I'm assuming it's a language thing, but your comments seem overly
> dismissive.  You're essentially saying that the resulting generated ASM
> is of no interest (the tool was the interesting part, you note) and
> devoid of value.

That didn't come across right. It was not my intention to make it sound
like the ASM files have no value. I think it's great that they are doing
this, and I'm sure somebody at MS spent a lot of (personal and probably
unfunded) effort into making it happen.

When I saw the announcement, I was hoping to see the machinery that made
this code so portable, and I was disappointed that it's not the entire
thing.