Microsoft open sources GWBASIC

Nigel Johnson nw.johnson at ieee.org
Fri May 22 07:56:15 CDT 2020

I know where you are coming from. Starting out as an FE I was only
initially trained in assembler - specifically to trace each instruction
through the machine for troubleshooting!  My first database was written
in ART418 (Assembler for Real Time/ Univac 418 :-))Later I learned C and
used it to do any real programming.

When the 'big iron' computer industry was taken over by the peecee, I
went into teaching ECE at college.  For 25 years I was always trying to
teach my students efficiency in coding - especially important until the
latter years in embedded systems.

Now even embedded systems are running with gigahertz clock speeds!  Over
my career I have seen the change from three assembler courses in a
six-semester program to just one 'so they can get their hands wet'!

In the end, when asked 'why do we have to learn this?' I ended up just
saying "When embedded systems start displaying really weird problems in
a worldwide installed base, some knowledge of assembler may be the only
way to fix it.  People who can will be the first to be hired and the
last to go if a company down-sizes! Even when teaching C I showed them
how to get down and understand the assembler in the debugger.

I am retired from teaching now now and write in C and SQL :-) One day I
will do some PDP-11 assembler just for old time's sake on my PiDP-11!

cheers,

Nigel

--
Nigel Johnson
MSc., MIEEE, MCSE

Amateur Radio, the origin of the open-source concept!

You can reach me by voice on Skype:  TILBURY2591

If time travel ever will be possible, it already is. Ask me again yesterday

This e-mail is not and cannot, by its nature, be confidential. En route from me to you, it will pass across the public Internet, easily readable by any number of system administrators along the way.
    Nigel Johnson <nw.johnson at ieee.org>

Please consider the environment when deciding if you really need to print this message