SMS Data Gathering App Announcement

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Thu May 21 11:16:48 CDT 2020

On 05/20/2020 10:40 PM, Jay Jaeger via cctech wrote:
> On 5/20/2020 9:27 PM, Jon Elson wrote:
>>
>> Umm, if it can take ALDs, then (maybe with some tweaking) it ought to be
>> able to do the
>> same for SLT and MST machines, too!  That might get a few more people
>> interested in the
>> concept.
>>
>> Jon
> I doubt it would be easy based on a quick look at an 1130 (1131-C) ALD.

<snip>

OK, these are the sort of issues I expected would be
encountered. But, there have been rumors of people trying to
do gate-level reimplementations of 360s and 370s so accurate
they would run diagnostics and FLT decks without squawks.
Such a tool would make a project like that more
approachable.  But, yes, that's for somebody who wants to do
such a project to make the conversion.

(I tried to build a quasi-360 in 1981 or so.  I built a
32-bit AMD 2903/2910 microcode engine with a Z-80 CP/M as
front end and diagnostic console.  I got that working at 125
ns cycle time for 2-address instructions, but then realized
HOW MUCH work lay ahead before I could actually run a
program on it, no less have an OS and peripherals on it.  I
still have it in my basement.

See:     http://pico-systems.com/stories/1982.html     if
interested.  )

Jon