LK201 emulation

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Mon May 18 16:43:33 CDT 2020

On Mon, May 18, 2020 at 5:20 PM Electronics Plus via cctalk
<cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
> Do you guys want original LK201s, or other keyboards that LOOK like LK201s
> in the caps and layout, or converters?
> I am a little confused...   LK201 clones do not have the clip offset on the
> terminal connector, so you would have to replace the connector. I have no
> idea if the protocol, voltage, etc is the same.

LK201 keyboards and variants (LK401, clones, etc) have a narrow 4p4c
"handset jack" connector, not offset like an MMJ serial connector.

The power is +12V, the serial protocols are the same.  I've used
LK401s on VT220s and Rainbows, I've used LK401s and LK201s on a Planar
terminal with an "LK201" input jack.  That part is standard.

Speaking for myself, I have a pile of devices (DECmates,
Professionals, Rainbows, VT220, VT240...) that have a 4-place narrow
handset jack for a keyboard, and most of them are expecting an LK201.
I also have a large assortment of LK201s (with and without the WPS/EDT
"Gold Key" keycaps) and 1-2 smaller but compatible keyboards.  Every
time I pull an LK201 off the shelf, I'm wondering if it's going to
work.  I have 2-3 dead ones for sure.  I think at least one of them
has a dead matrix because IIRC, it was causing "4 - keyboard error"
until I dismantled it and unplugged the mylar keyboard matrix sheet.
I suspect that the paint layer has either oxidized to high
resistance/open circuit or there's a short somewhere.  I haven't
investigated that further.  I am also aware of some electronics
failures.  I can obviously mix and match bits to have as many working
keyboards as possible, but that is a finite decreasing number.

What I would find handy in one regard is being able to use a PS/2 or
USB modern keyboard on 1980s DEC equipment as if I was plugging in an
LK201.

I would also probably employ a device that I could plug a real DEC
keyboard into but that talked PS/2 or USB to be able to use that with
a modern machine.  One application would be to use it with Simh or
even just a dumb terminal emulator (Glass, etc) with a real terminal
feel.

I might employ a device that replaced the electronics in a dead LK201
but I wouldn't need that many of them.

-ethan