ISO: Diablo 30 heads

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Thu May 14 10:46:19 CDT 2020

On 05/14/2020 09:43 AM, dwight via cctalk wrote:
> I wonder if a high density head could be used on a low density machine. I'd think the main difference would be track width. If the signal levels were similar it might work.

A high density head should be able to READ a pre-written
low-density pack, assuming the bit rate is the same, just
the track density is the difference.

And, you could probably format and write a pack on a low
density drive with high-density heads.
But, you definitely would have trouble trying to write to a
low-density pre-written pack with high-density heads, as the
erase head would not completely erase the older, wider,
track data. Unless the head positioning was incredibly
reproducible, the old data would contaminate the
newly-written data.

Jon