Odd book

Chris Zach cz at alembic.crystel.com
Fri May 8 06:15:53 CDT 2020

"Trimmed" is a term meaning "scammed" back in the 1920's usually by a
confidence man. The goal of a confidence game was typically to "trim a
mark" for example.

In this context the author was probably saying that not only did they
get beaten, they got beaten bad in what appeared to be a "rigged game".

I highly recommend the book "The Big Con" by David Maurer. Written in
the mid to late 1930's it's a fascinating and informative look into the
language, argot, and methods of the classic confidence man. A skill that
seems to be coming back into vogue these days....