DIY Paper Tape Punch - Mechanism diagram?

Tony Duell ard.p850ug1 at gmail.com
Fri May 1 12:32:25 CDT 2020

On Fri, May 1, 2020 at 6:20 PM Hugh Pyle <hpyle at cabezal.com> wrote:

> Tony, maybe your collection can help me answer a puzzle:  which side is "top"?  By my reading, for 8-level tape,
> - ANSI and other US standards have three data bits / index / then five data bits
> - ECMA has five/index/three... :)
> https://twitter.com/33asr/status/1138758004747177984

As far as I know the 5-hole side is always the most significant 5
bits, the 3 hole side the least significant 3 bits. In other words the
holes go :

76543S210

Where S is the sprocket hole and a digit is the bit number (bit 0 is
the least significant bit).

As to which way use the tape, with the tape feeding towards you, the
sprocket hole is normally offset towards the right, that is the bits
would read with the MSB on the left. I am not sure if that is
universal though

-tony