Prime 50-Series emulator announcement

Dennis Boone drb at msu.edu
Tue Mar 24 12:25:55 CDT 2020

Bill,

 > Is there anywhere we can find a list of what is avaiable on each of
 > those images?  I tried a few and at least one has all the compilers
 > but no emacs.  Another has emacs but apparently no compilers. :-)

 > I'm impressed so far but would really like to find systems that I can
 > do some real programming on.  Is it possible for someone to build a
 > Rev 24 image with everything on it?

There's not a list of what's on each image.  I'll think about creating
one.

Recall that the layered products tended to be related to the version of
the base OS.  Sometimes you could use an older version on a newer
PRIMOS, sometimes not.  Since the ones we have came with specific
distribution tape sets, or from backups of specific machines, and
basically nobody just had everything Prime sold, the systems we can
build are "uneven".  The largest collections of layered products in
captivity are for 19, 22 and 23.  I think the only copy of INFORMATION
is on 21.  Etc.

There are incomplete source sets for 19 and 22.  We're in the process of
revamping the 19.2 sample system to have the source for the kernel it's
running baked in.

 > My last real work with Primos was during the move from Rev 19 to Rev
 > 20.  I am amazed at how much I have forgotten and really regret
 > having gotten rid of all my documentation (at least I think I did, I
 > suppose it is possible there is still a box in the attic full of
 > Prime manuals including my course books from the internals class!)

I've had to refresh a few things, but I'm amazed at how many details are
still in my head.  There's a lot of new stuff post-20, too.

I know I ended up with some of your manuals.  Lots of scanned manuals at
sysovl.info in PDF form, if you can live with that.  A couple versions
of the internals class manual are there.

I'm still moving stuff into that site, so if there's something specific
you need, let me know and I'll see if I can help.

 > One other one that I should know but forgot is how to add a user.
 > Would be nice to set it up properly before I start loading programs
 > on it.

You do that with EDIT_PROFILE.  Make sure the priority ACL is set (I
think that's being done at boot), and run it from the console.

De