IDE Hard Drive Question

dwight dkelvey at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 26 08:25:51 CDT 2020

I'd measure the temperature sensor. It is most likely a typical thermistor but may be an RTD. Most RTD's are 100 ohm but there are some platinum on ceramic that are 1K ohms. Check it both directions with an ohm meter. It might be a solid state semiconductor type device. If a resistive device, it can likely be replaced by a resistor. If it is 10K thermistor or whatever just replace it with a fixed resistor.
Put it in the fridge for a few minutes to see if it is a negative or positive temperature coefficient. Once you know that it should be easy to use a value of resistor that would tell it that is was at a happy 20c.
You can likely leave the heater leads open.
The temperature sensor is the small black thing. I doubt it is a thermal switch but it might be. It is most likely to be around specific resistances of 10 ohms, 100, 1K or 10K.
Dwight