PLATO V Terminal

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Fri Jun 19 14:06:57 CDT 2020

> On Jun 19, 2020, at 2:32 PM, Lars Brinkhoff <lars at nocrew.org> wrote:
>
> Paul Koning wrote:
>>> I think Greg Thompson said he brought Maze to MIT in 1974.  Wikipedia
>>> says 1973.  The game was first developed at NASA Ames in 1972.
>> Ok, chances are that predates PLATO MUGs by 2-3 years.
>
> Spasim from 1974 is usually regarded as contemporary with Maze.
> I'm not so sure about that 1973 dating; after all it's Wikipedia.

Yes, I can confirm Jim Bowery's spasim was created in November 1974.  And I'm fairly sure it wasn't the first MUG.  It was actually rather ambitious for the time because it has a full 3d model, as opposed to some other games that were more like 2d (or stack of 2d, as in a number of the "dungeon and dragons" games).  I just checked the history section of the "dnd" game on Cyber1; it makes it pretty clear that MU versions existed in 1974.

"airfight" is dated 1976.

	paul