TU58 dump tool on Linux?

Jan-Benedict Glaw jbglaw at lug-owl.de
Mon Jun 15 14:55:21 CDT 2020

On Thu, 2020-06-11 10:55:02 -0600, Eric Smith via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 11, 2020 at 8:18 AM Jan-Benedict Glaw <jbglaw at lug-owl.de> wrote:
> > I don't have a TU58, but using nbdkit[1] or BUSE[2] (which seems to
> > hook up as a NBD device as well) it should be quite easy to make it
> > avaliable as a block device. For reading and writing, this should be
> > pretty straight forward.
>
> Yes, that could certainly be done, but it's a fair bit more work than just
> writing a tape dump program.

I'm not sure... But I guess it's quite pointless to attempt to work on
something like this without being able to test it with actual
hardware. :-(

  Just for the fun of it, I just checked eBay for drives, but there's
nothing viable around right now.  Maybe I'll come back to it at some
later time?

MfG, JBG