Adventures online

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Thu Jul 23 12:47:28 CDT 2020

On 7/23/20 10:25 AM, Lars Brinkhoff wrote:
> Chuck Guzis wrote:
>> Well, if one wanted to stay historically accurate, one would use a
>> PDP-10.
>
> It's not Crowther's Adventure, but the Infocom games.

Infocom's games were based on Crowther, after all.   I remember porting
the PDP-10 FORTRAN to CDC 6000 SCOPE 3.4. I got the source from a friend
who was a DEC CE.   After converting the source tape, the "save game"
was probably the biggest difference in implementation.  I used FTN
(FORTRAN extended) to do the deed, rather than RUN.

After the game had been distributed at CDC SVLOPS, there was a concerted
effort by management to purge the thing from all of the permanent file
catalogs.  Luckily, management never discovered who introduced the game
in the first place...

So yes, Adventure/Colossal Cave did run on an honest big mainframe.

I never played the game much myself, as I had access to the source, so I
knew the innards of the game.

--Chuck