Small C ver 1.00 source?

jim stephens jwsmail at jwsss.com
Thu Jul 16 02:32:57 CDT 2020

On 7/15/2020 11:57 PM, Tomasz Rola via cctalk wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 13, 2020 at 02:30:37PM -0400, Phil Budne via cctalk wrote:
>> I can't make ANY assertions about version or pedigree of the files
>> (which came to me in 1981 when I was using a PDP-10), but they APPEAR
>> to be from Ron Cain himself, from SRI-KL (TOPS-20):
>>
>> ftp://ftp.ultimate.com/pdp10/c80.tar.gz
>>
>> Which contains runtime files from November 1979, and compiler files
>> dated June 1981.
> By pure coincidence I have found the page with many versions of Small
> C. Just in case someone needs them:
>
> http://www.cpm.z80.de/small_c.html
This pages V1.0 "Plus" is the first version, but converted to z80. The
OP was hunting for the 8080 original.

I think this was posted earlier, but thanks for finding.

> And this one is claimed to be "SMALL C converted to the 8088 by Byte
> magazine":
>
> http://www.cpm.z80.de/small_c/smc88dos.zip

I don't know where I got that one, but looks like I grabbed it in 2009.

Thanks to all who responded.  I did a cross port of this compiler to a
system I had in about 79 or so, when it first came out, and I'm
interested in it  since it's the first compiler I ever messed with porting.

I sent Will Cook my copies of the 8080, and will let him follow up on
it.  I've got both the 8080 original source and a version that will run
on a CPM system or emulator.  I may have to redo my exercise now that
I've got an emulation of the original system, as well as a CPM system
emulation.

Thanks
Jim