Gotek Floppy Drive Emulators in general and as RX50/RX33 replacements

Zane Healy healyzh at avanthar.com
Wed Jul 15 14:53:00 CDT 2020

> On Jul 15, 2020, at 12:31 PM, Chuck Guzis via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> For what it's worth, take a look at the FlashFloppy firmware for the Gotek:
>
> https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy
>
> Open-source and handles a lot of different formats.  Doubtless the RX50,
> if not one of them already, could be easily made so.
>
> I've installed it on a couple of Goteks and it seems to work okay--do
> consider replacing the 7-segment LED display with a cheap OLED--more
> information is displayed.

I have two of them, but haven’t considered using them on a DEC system.  Then again, I’ve barely ever used a floppy on my DEC hardware, and then it was 20+ years ago.

My target is my Amiga 600 and Amiga 1200.  I have an old one I picked up at the Portland Retro Gaming Expo five or so years ago, and a new one that I got from AmigaKit recently.  The AmigaKit one is nice, as I had it upgraded with the OLED and dial.  They’re very nice.  I really like being able to use a USB stick, rather than a floppy.

The next computer I’d like to see about converting to flash will probably be an Apple ][e.  My C-64 has used SD cards for year.

Zane