About to dump a bunch of Compaq SCSI disk caddies (and disks)

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Wed Jul 8 05:41:20 CDT 2020

On Mon, Jul 06, 2020 at 03:54:10PM -0600, Grant Taylor via cctalk wrote:
[...]
> If I needed one of those drives, I'd be willing to pay $1 / GB plus shipping
> and handling if they were known to be good. (If I needed them) I would buy
> them sight unseen if you ran SpinRite level 2 on the drives and said they
> passed.

As a guideline, PostNL quote €18.20 (≈USD20.50) for its single grade of packet
post to "world". The 2kg weight limit is good for two or three typical 3.5"
hard disks of around 700g each. It's cheaper to the rest of Europe (and UK) but
the 2kg limit remains for anywhere outside the Netherlands. For more than 2kg,
you're looking at expensive couriers and the price to the USA quickly rockets.

I'm up the road in Zaandam and could collect and test these disks, but I
already have more (3) 9GB disks than I need (0) and don't want any more if they
don't already have homes allocated. I'm not sure I could face dealing with
eBay/Marktplaats/etc timewasters to dispose of them responsibly, even if I were
making a nominal €10 each on them.