SCSI2SD & Amiga's

John H. Reinhardt johnhreinhardt at thereinhardts.org
Tue Jul 7 15:04:33 CDT 2020

On 7/7/2020 2:57 PM, Zane Healy wrote:
> On Jul 7, 2020, at 12:24 PM, John H. Reinhardt via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>>
>> On 7/7/2020 1:02 PM, Ethan O'Toole via cctalk wrote:
>>> I run a SCSI2SD on my A2500 with whatever SCSI card it has by default. The only issue that I have is the SCSI2SD boots slower than the Amiga, so when I power on the Amiga I have to wait a few seconds then do the A+A+Control reboot three finger salute (or whatever it is.) Before it's ready the Amiga just sits at a white screen forever, but after a reboot the SCSI2SD is ready and it boots fine.
>>>
>> What version of the SCSD2SD V5 do you have?  The V5.1 was reworked to boot faster (so claims the site here <http://www.codesrc.com/mediawiki/index.php/SCSI2SD#Which_version_should_you_buy_.3F> ) and the V6 boots even faster I believe.
>
> I was wondering about this myself.
>
>>> It would be nice if the SCSI2SD was mounted on a expansion cover plate though, with the LEDs visible and the SD card accessible externally.
>>>
>> That's how I them mounted in my MicroVAX 3100 and AlphaServer DS10.  On the Alphaserver I bought the 3.5" bracket and replaced the floppy disk with it.  On the MicroVAX I used the same 3.5" bracket and mounted it in a 5.25" to 3.5" bracket with a homemade baseplate.
>>
>> SCSI2SD mounting bracket: <https://store.inertialcomputing.com/product-p/scsi2sd-v5.1-v6-bracket-black.htm>
>
> Is Inertial Computing a good place to buy from?  I was looking at their website.  It looks like the latest v6 might be the way to go for Amiga, VAX, and Alpha.  With v5.1 making more sense for my PDP-11/73, due to cost, it’s not like I’m going to get 10MB/sec on a Q-Bus backplane. :-)
>
> Zane

They are.  I bought from them just a month and a half ago - the replacement for the "Drilled" board plus another for my PDP-11/xx (53/73/83 depending on which CPU board I feel like using) and it was delivered in 3 days despite shipping from CA to TX in these COVID limited days.

I haven't tested but you're probably right in that a V5.1 is probably good for a PDP QBUS SCSI card.

--
John H. Reinhardt