formatting and checking floppy disks for bad sectors

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Thu Jan 16 00:12:25 CST 2020

WHAT DISK FORMAT?

Try bulk erasing your disks before you format them, because if you are
reformatting a used disk, the content in the boot sector could confuse
the operating system.

For PC-DOS, if track 0 is actually bad, then the disk can not be
properly used for DOS.  It should be destroyed, or used on an operating
system that does not need track 0. (many CP/M systems use track 0 as a
system track, but don't need it for a data disk)

In some versions of DOS, there can be erroneous error messages about
track 0 being bad, due to DOS not properly handling attempt to DMA
straddling a 64K boundary.  If you get the message on all disks, then look
at you CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT files, and add or remove a TSR or
device driver, so that the TPA (Transient Program Area) will be in a
different place.

You have not told us which operating system,
size and type of diskette,
name of the "utility" that you are looking for,
What is a "kiooyt"?