Help needed identifying old MFM drives from the excavation

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Mon Dec 7 12:32:36 CST 2020

> On Dec 7, 2020, at 12:00 PM, Chuck Guzis via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> On 12/7/20 8:21 AM, Bill Gunshannon via cctalk wrote:
>>
>> Wow. 14"!!  last time I saw one of those was on the Apollo that used
>> to warm my house in the winter time.
> For a long time, the CDC 808 disk drive was standard fare on CDC 6000--4
> spindles spinning stacks of what must have been 30" disks, using an
> array of 6-bit parallel heads.  About 7 feet tall and very reliable.

I know of the 6603, is that a controller and the 808 is the drive?

Pretty amazing drive.  12 bit parallel transfer, so the data rate was way faster than any other drive of that era (1964 or so).  It also did "zone recording" (more sectors per track on the outer tracks) well before that showed up in other drives.

	paul