Fire-Sale PDP-11 update (and request for parts)

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Sat Dec 5 16:19:39 CST 2020

> On Dec 5, 2020, at 1:41 AM, Josh Dersch via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> Thought you folks might be interested in a quick update on my folly here.
>
> At the beginning of November I drove down to the bay area to pick up the
> two fire-damaged PDP-11 systems -- a PDP-11/70 and a PDP-11/45.  (I also
> made a few other stops and got a few other items, but that's not what I'm
> here to talk about...)
>
> The 11/45 is considerably further gone.  It took a serious amount of heat,
> enough for the pig iron frame for the front panel to start melting (
> http://yahozna.dyndns.org/scratch/1170/1145.jpg).

It looks pretty bad, but it's not quite as bad as what your words suggest.  I doubt that frame is iron.  Consider that the rails of the rack are corroded but not visibly warped, let alone melted.

I would guess the bezel is potmetal or some other low melting point cheap alloy.  Potmetal is a zinc alloy, it melts very easily.

	paul