DIY Paper Tape Punch - Mechanism diagram?

Charles Anthony charles.unix.pro at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 23:48:59 CDT 2020

On Thu, Apr 30, 2020 at 9:02 PM Anders Nelson via cctalk <
cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've had a paper tape reader for a while but never had a punch to make new
> tapes, and the ones i've found are not only very large but also very
> expensive. So I'm toying with the idea of making an open-source punch, but
> I can't find any detailed diagrams of how the mechanism works.
>
> Thinking out of the box here...

I seem to recall that mylar was used instead of paper in some instances;
more durable?

Rather then mechanical punches, a laser cutting data and feed holes in a
blank mylar strip...

Repurposing a maker lab style laser cutter.  Strip of mylar tape on the
cutting bed, with a starter feed hole on an alignment pin; laser cuts as
much data and feed holes as is room for on the bed. Move the strip up so
the last feed hole is on the alignment pin, cut next block of data; repeat.

I have no idea if this would work, or even if it is a good idea. just
thinking out loud.

-- Charles