tape baking

Al Kossow aek at bitsavers.org
Tue Apr 28 17:44:33 CDT 2020

On 4/28/20 3:37 PM, Alan Perry via cctalk wrote:

> wiping the posts with acetone or wiping the tape with cyclomethicone? Should I be baking the tapes? If so, what is a safe way to bake QIC
> cartridges?

I bake the carts with the bands removed and the covers off in a food dehydrator

I also wrap the posts with lint-free cloth and use a rubber glue like fabric adhesive I found in the crafts section of wallmart
Obviously, I re-use the bases until the cloth becomes fouled

QIC tape is thin, I wouldn't recommend using any liquid on it, even as a lubricant. It is very easy to wipe the binder off

The brand of drive you use is really important. the direct drive tanbergs work the best

I went through about 100 computervision sun3 era carts last year. They weren't horrible, using reused DC150 belts
I didn't get the images uploaded before I got locked out of my lab.