Core Memory Photo

Jules Richardson jules.richardson99 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 17:02:46 CDT 2020

On 4/15/20 6:22 PM, keith--- via cctalk wrote:
> I have three others with the cover still on :)  I want to make a clear
> plexiglass cover for them.

Just for fun, this is what I have from a Lockheed MAC-16 machine:

http://www.classiccmp.org/acornia/tmp/catcore.jpg

... the white line is a cat hair, just to give an idea of scale. It's
incredibly fine stuff (and if I remember right this board was from 1970; I
didn't think core got that compact until more toward the end of the decade,
right at the tail end of core's era, when semiconductor RAM had become
commonplace).

*somewhere* I have a microscope, so might try photographing through that at
some point; this was the best I could do with a loupe held over my camera's
lens.

I've wondered about doing the plexiglass thing too, just for display
purposes (the planes are damaged on both boards that I have, and I'm not
sure if anyone has an intact MAC-16 anywhere anyway), but then I got to
wondering what the point was given that it needs magnification to really
see anything anyway :-)

cheers

Jules