DEC OS/8 Question (getting an error TOO BIG INIT)

Bill Degnan billdegnan at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 14:34:18 CDT 2020

Hi,
I am sure this question has come up before, but can anyone advise an OS/8
change I can run to avoid the following issue (below)?  I am unsure if I
need to fix my simh INI file or make more space for the program from the
OS/8 dot prompt, or FORTRAN * prompt.

Running pidp-8i (simh PDP 8i kit)

I load OS/8 and initiate the command from the dot prompt:

. FRTS

..dumps me to the * prompt ...

*RKB0:ADVENT.LD  [return]
*   [esc]

rather than loading ADVENTURE I get the following result:

D.F. TOO BIG INIT  0000
MAIN 1740
.

(..andkicks me back to the dot prompt).

the INI is the default

reset
set cpu 32k
set cpu noidle
att rk0 ../imagefiles/os8/advent.rk05
boot rk0

what changes are needed?  I searched around, I don't quite understand how
to load an LD file in OS/8 to debug the error.  It may be I have the wrong
RK05 disk, but I'd really like to understand what this error means if
anyone knows.  My physical RK05 disk loads ADVENT as an SV file, I don't
need the extra steps.

Thanks

BIll