Early Univac Commercial

Paul Berger phb.hfx at gmail.com
Fri Sep 20 18:01:23 CDT 2019

On 2019-09-20 12:52 p.m., Chuck Guzis via cctalk wrote:
> On 9/20/19 8:16 AM, William Sudbrink via cctalk wrote:
>> Isn't there also one that's a "help wanted" for programming positions?
>> I seem to recall that they didn't say anything about professional training
>> or experience, just things like "do you have a logical, ordered way of
>> thinking?"
> I don't recall, but IBM had a "computer aptitude test" that it
> administered to just about anyone involved in sales or the technical
> end, regardless of education.   I recall taking such a test, though I
> turned down IBM's job offer.
>
> --Chuck

Before I was hired as a CE I took a few test for understanding of
digital logic as also mechanics as there was still lots of
electro-mechanical equipment around 40 years ago.  Later when I
transferred to a job in a development lab I took a test called the DPAT
which was all aimed at testing logical thinking skills.  I was never
told how I scored on any of these tests, but I was hired and I did get
accepted for the training program that lead up to a job in the
development lab.

Paul.