LISP implementations on small machines

ben bfranchuk at jetnet.ab.ca
Thu Oct 3 12:15:53 CDT 2019

On 10/3/2019 10:01 AM, Noel Chiappa via cctalk wrote:
>      > From: Paul Koning
>
>      > Some early machines, the PDP-6 I believe is an example, have
>      > "registers" in the ISA but they actually correspond to specific parts
>      > of main memory.
>
> The PDP-6 and KA10 (basically a re-implementation of the PDP-6 architecture)
> both had cheapo versions where addresses 0-15 were in main memory, but also
> had an option for real registers, e.g. in the PDP-6: "The Type 162 Fast
> Memory Module contains 16 words with a 0.4 usecond cycle." The KA10 has
> a similar "fast memory option".
>
> 	Noel
The PDP-5 how soon theyy forget. The PC was in core memory for sure.
Not sure about the AC how ever.
The IBM 1130 had the index registers in Core at something like  1,2,3.

Today Fast memory is .4 ps. I wonder how the old machines
would compare with today's wonder CPU's assuming the same transistor
speeds.Ben.