P112

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Sat Nov 30 19:28:27 CST 2019

On Sun, 1 Dec 2019, Bill Gunshannon via cctalk wrote:
> I think you missed something.  This is a P112 SBC not a PC.  I watch
> the head step from track to track until it runs into the stop after
> passing the last real track.  I have a dbit 8" adapter and it displays
> the track count and I watch it go from 0 to 79.  I am assuming the
> problem is that wherever the disk parameters are being stored on the
> P112 they are wrong for 8" disks.

That's exactly why I said that it depended on how the software interprets
error codes, and used PC as an eaxample for comparison, not that it would
necessarily be the same.
You are absolutely right that I don't know anything about P112 disk
access.

You are right that the disk parameters are obviously wrong for 8", if only
the wrong track count.  I have seen THAT error before.
Are the OTHER parameters at least usable?

If it says "sector not found", then there is a possibility (LIKE the PC
example that I used), that that may mean that it sees sectors, but not
the right ones.  But, there is still the possibility that it is using
that message for any and all disk errors.

BTW, I understand that NEC uses 77 tracks on their high density 5.25 and
3.5 inch formats, and 360RPM for 3.5".   (Same parameters for all three
sizes!)