Scanning docs for bitsavers

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Wed Nov 27 14:01:37 CST 2019

> On Nov 27, 2019, at 2:56 PM, Jason T via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Nov 27, 2019 at 10:12 AM Christian Corti via cctalk
> <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>> My recommendation: use a proper multi-function copier (the big copiers)
>> that can also scan to network. I currently use our big Konica-Minolta
>> bizhub 754. Although it'a b/w copier, it can also scan in color. This
>
> These are great for cranking through big stacks of paper, but watch
> out for the presets.  Some (like the older Xerox I used to use at
> work) would scan to "TIFF"...which was really a JPG-compressed image
> in a TIFF wrapper.  So even my 600dpi bilevel scans would have
> compression artifacts.

Another problem with bilevel scans is that, on some machines at least, they can be very noisy.  That's what I saw on the copier/scanner at the office.  For good scans I use gray scale scanning, with post-processing if desired to convert to clean bilevel data, without all the noise.  Not only does it make looking at the material more pleasant, but it also makes the files much smaller -- noise doesn't compress well.

	paul