UniBone: Linux-to-DEC-UNIBUS-bridge, year #1

Daniel Seagraves dseagrav at lunar-tokyo.net
Wed Nov 20 09:20:57 CST 2019

> On Nov 19, 2019, at 9:35 PM, Josh Dersch <derschjo at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Joerg is the one building and selling the board, I'm just a satisfied customer who's also been hacking new device support into it.  I'll keep y'all posted as to when I make progress on this.
>
> Also if anyone has a KS they could, uh, "lend" me it sure would speed up the development process and I'm sure you'd eventually get it back someday.
>
> (Kidding.)

Well, I was expecting to have to do all of the work myself. There’s still the problem of the disk Unibus itself to solve - the disk UBA doesn’t terminate into a normal Unibus. It goes into the disk RH11 directly, and the bus is terminated on the far end of the RH11. I’d either have to buy another Unibus backplane to plug the Unibone into, or find a way to plug the cables from the UBA directly into the Unibone. This still leaves the issue of terminating the bus. The ideal scenario would be if the first slot of a RH11 (where the bus jumper comes in) can accommodate the (quad card) Unibone without issues, the rest of the RH11 boards can simply be pulled without breaking bus continuity, and the normal terminator in the far slot can be used. I haven’t looked at any prints or anything yet.

The “second” Unibus is otherwise normal.