Question about modems

Grant Taylor cctalk at gtaylor.tnetconsulting.net
Wed Nov 13 20:28:55 CST 2019

On 11/13/19 5:25 PM, Electronics Plus via cctalk wrote:
> And here my problem is that I have the old modems, but I can't test
> them because I no longer have a land line.

~chuckle~

> Is there any way to test an internal or external modem without anything
> except broadband or cellular connections?

It depends if "without anything" is referring to "no additional phone
line / service from an external 3rd party" or "nothing at all added to
the mix".

> I know I can't test the acoustic modems, but I was hoping to be able
> to test internal ISA and PCI, as well as external modems from 300
> baud to 56k. Perhaps there is some inexpensive gizmo available?

It should be quite possible to test slower modems.  However, faster
speeds, 14.4 / 19.2 / 28.8 / 33.6 / 56, will be more problematic to test.

People are reliably getting modems to connect across VoIP using lossless
CODECs, i.e. ULAW / ALAW.

This does take some effort to (initially) set up.  But it should be
quite serviceable once it is set up.

I think that some companies make Analog Terminal Adapters (ATA) that
have two ports, one would connect to each modem, and any number dialed
would call (ring) the other port.  I /think/ that Grandstream used to
make a Handy Tone that did this.  Again, this will take some configuration.

I routinely (almost daily) see @Level29_BBS talking about dialing in
across VoIP.

--
Grant. . . .