Network cards and Win98SE

Pete Turnbull pete at dunnington.plus.com
Tue May 14 10:32:25 CDT 2019

On 14/05/2019 14:17, John Foust via cctalk wrote:
> At 03:02 AM 5/14/2019, Christian Corti via cctalk wrote:
>> On Mon, 13 May 2019, Grant Taylor wrote:
>>> "Gaming adapters" take a wired computer and connect it to a wireless network.
>>
>> That "adapter" has always been called a WLAN or wireless bridge.
>
> I've known the term "gaming adapter" because I knew it was the common
> name for what I'd call a dedicated wireless network bridge.  Just another
> fine example of how gaming has come to dominate parts of the computer world.
> They who sell the most get to name the thing.

But they probably don't.  Almost every smart TV and settop box
manufacturer sells a wired-to-wireless bridge dongle, and I'd bet there
are more "wireless adapters" or "network adapters" sold for that purpose
rather than gaming, simply because TVs, settop boxes and DVD/BluRay
players outsell gaming machines.  And then there are the slightly more
sophisticated/robust ones sold by the likes of 3Com and Cisco, which
I've never seen called anything other than a "wireless bridge".

There are two or three groups at my university who regularly organise
gaming parties, or sometimes called "LAN parties" here, and plenty of
ad-hoc groups who also do so since the word got round that IT Services
was willing to provide some support for them.  I've never heard the term
"gaming adapter" from them.  Perhaps it's a piece of localised jargon.
The AV Services department, who use quite a lot of them for large TV
screens in lecture theatres, for remote lectures, teleconferencing, as
bulletin boards, etc always call them "wireless adapters" or sometimes
"network adapters".

When "gaming adapter" was first mentioned, one of the first things that
came to mind was the joystick-shaped gadget that fits over a keyboard to
press the up/down/left/right keys when you waggle it.  Searching "gaming
adapter" throws up a lot of USB wireless dongles before wired Ethernet
ones.  I don't really care what you or Grant call it yourself, but at
best the term is confusing, given it can mean at least two other things,
and it's certainly not any sort of canonical name as has been suggested.

--
Pete
Pete Turnbull