How were 32-bit minis built in the 70s/80?

Dave Wade dave.g4ugm at gmail.com
Sun May 12 02:06:01 CDT 2019

They certainly thought that at Jodrell Bank, an outpost of the University of Manchester

http://www.jodrellbank.net/

in 1964 they started using Ferranti Argus 100 computers to control the radio telescopes.

http://www.computinghistory.org.uk/det/32443/Ferranti-Argus-100/

these were programmed in FORTH and the 24 bit word was ideal for storing astronomical co-ordinates as sixed packed decimal digits.
So much so that when Ferranti stopped making the Argus 100 they created bit-slice emulations of the machine using AMD2900 chips

> Early 70's computers other than IBM used TTL, and fast core memory with
> mostly a 16 bit word width. Other than the PDP 11, most computers where
> adapted from the transistor era with tweaks added for banks of
> memory.When the late 70's came around commercial customers had a large
> main frame computer or small control computer from a few years earlier with
> FAST TTL (S)logic, PDP 11's, IBM 360's or clones,or TTL standard/H like PDP 8
> or NOVA computer.
>
> Bit slice logic like the 2901 alu, (1975) would make for nice low cost 16/32 bit
> cpu with byte load/store.
> The market for 32 bit computers was decided however to sell FAST LARGE
> systems (floating point/64K+ memory) like the VAX (S TTL) or upgrade other
> designs like the NOVA computer with Custom or semi-custom (PAL logic)
> logic.
> INTEL being slow with the forgotten APX 432 design came out with 8086
> leaving us with the defective CPU's of today.

The AMD2900 could be used to build 24 bit CPUs as well....

> Ben's view point.
>
> I am doing  my computer with a FPGA development system for design logic
> and testing and later using 2901's and LS TTL with 3 proms used for the
> alu/control cards.
>   I have A nice 8/16/32 cpu design with 512KB of memory
> (2901 alu )but I can't get it to route correctly. The 12/24 bit cpu just fits with
> the FREE develpment software.
> For a few K $ I can get the better version with being able route by hand my
> logic to meet timing specs.
> Once hardware SD card/serial port and software are working I then will port
> the design to TTL.
> I may need to write my own tiny langage to boot strap my system.
>
> Ben.

Best of luck
Dave