MPE release history (was: Re: VMS versions)

Frank McConnell fmc at reanimators.org
Wed May 8 10:00:44 CDT 2019

On May 8, 2019, at 1:07, David Collins via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> The HP Computer Museum website now has a link to the version history file referenced below.
>
> http://www.hpmuseum.net/exhibit.php?content=3000-MPE%20(Software)
>
> Happy to update it if there is more info or corrections.

Thanks.  I do think there is something bogus in it: the assertion that MPE V/R was a thing in 1983.  Yes, it was mentioned in an issue of Computer News, but (looking at that via the HP Computer Museum web site too, and thanks for that too) I think that was a statement about the future unbundling of DS/X.25 in MPE V/R.  Also that MPE V/R was a long time in coming.  We ran Q-delta-2 on a Series III for a long time while the Series 64 became a 68 and maybe a 70, but did upgrade it to MPE V/R when that came out.

MPE V/R was “MPE IV in MPE V drag”.  It had the MPE V name but its internals and system table structures were those of MPE IV.  (We had some home-grown code that looked in the JMAT for the next job number.)

-Frank McConnell