1/2" tape storage.

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Tue Mar 26 19:19:09 CDT 2019

> On Mar 26, 2019, at 8:14 PM, Chuck Guzis via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> Argh!  I just got a batch of 10.5" open-reel tape in and about one-third
> of the batch has vinyl "hanger strips" that heave either self-destructed
> in shipment or are about to do so.
>
> Given that the durned things have lapsed into the land of the
> unobtainium, I wonder if plastic (probably polypropylene) 16mm film cans
> will work.  The 1200' size looks to be about right.
>
> Has anyone tried this?

Plastic cans were the other standard tape reel packaging, and I think predates the tape seals.  Sure that works.  Just make sure they are tall enough not to compress the reel sides.

Ideally you'd have a hub in the middle of the can to center the reel hub, though it would work without that, just not as nicely.

Metal (non-ferrous) cans would work too.  Actually, even some ferrous materials would work.  I once had a tape shipped to me in a box lined with mu-metal, because the shipping department saw "magnetic tape" on the shipping form so they applied the packaging rules for magnetic materials (i.e., permanent magnets).  Nice, I saved it since that stuff is not easily found.

	paul