Unix tools, Bill Webb, UBC, TRIUMF

Boris Gimbarzevsky boris at summitclinic.com
Sun Mar 10 00:22:19 CST 2019

I used to work at UBC in Pharmacology in the
1980's and had a few talks with Bill Webb about
Unix but, unfortunately, for the data acquisition
we were doing Unix was far too slow and I did
everything in optimized PDP-11 assembler.  Of
course, we didn't have a PDP-11/45 like Bill had
and had to make do with a slower PDP-11/34.  Bill
had hacked Unix considerably and it was locally
known as Webbix on campus.  Played around with
Unix and Webbix back then but don't think I have the tapes anymore.

One of the RL01 or RLO2 disks I picked up at SERF
in the 1990's (along with a MINC system)
contained a copy of Webbix but I'm not sure I
copied it.  Gave away the MINC and 2 RLO1 or RLO2
drives to a guy in Seattle about 2006 and hopefully he's copied them.

Boris Gimbarzevsky