VENIX on Rainbow (was Re: Wanting to get my first classic computer)

Al Kossow aek at bitsavers.org
Thu Jun 20 11:00:51 CDT 2019

On 6/20/19 7:56 AM, Eric Christopherson via cctalk wrote:
>  Venix can run on the /23+ as well.
>
> Whether it's a good choice of OS (compared to, say, 2.9BSD) or not I don't
> know.

I used Venix on 23s back in the day. It's V7, the file system is a little fragile
and has all of the limitations that go along with that version of Unix. Its big
selling point was the fact that you could BUY it. End-user Unix licensing didn't
happen until companies like Onyx and Fortune Systems came along.