PDP 11/15

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Wed Jun 19 13:56:26 CDT 2019

    > From: Bob Smith

    > there have been refs to another more modern unit, based on LSI[-]11
    > or later chip set

I've never heard of that, and I wonder if DEC would really have released
a new product with the same name as an old one (the two PDP-11/10's
are different, as I'm not sure many of the first ones were sold, but
a ton of -11/15's were).

    > I wonder if it is one of those or the orig.

This one is one of the -11/20 type ones.

    > From: Paul Koning

    > I only ever heard of an 11/15 as the 11/20 relabeled for OEM
    > markets

According to the "pdp11/15/20/r20 processor handbook", 1972 edition (i.e.
the second edition of the -11/20 proc handbook), the /15 has (table on pg.
2) a "KC11" processor, which seems to be a KA11 with only a single
interrupt request line. (Maybe it has a replacement card for the M824,
with only a single interrupt line wired up?)

There's a 'KF11-A' option which upgrades it to multi-line (pg. 4), for
which there claims to be a manual (DEC-11-HKFA-D), but there are none
online, but from other traces online it does seem that some people had
to get and install it. So maybe the stuff in the proc manual isn't
just marketing wibble.

That same manual claims that power-fail restart was standard in the
KA11; it was an option for the KC11, the KP11-A.

	Noel