Value of Burroughs B9974 disk pack

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Fri Jun 14 13:09:57 CDT 2019

    > From: Alan Perry

    > a chance to see and touch something that I haven't seen in decades
    > that was once a big part of my life.

I know exactly what you mean. PDP-11's were a huge part of my professional
life:

    -11/20: the first computer I actually used, in high school
    -11/45: the computer on which I took my first programming course in
	the CS Dept (amazingly, my group later traded the next computer
	for that very computer, years later)
    -11/40: the first computer that was 'mine', in the sense that I
	controlled it
    -11/70: the computer I did a lot of my early Unix learning/work on
    -11/03: my first packet switch code ran on one of these
    -11/23: the most widespread machine that my early packet switches ran
	on
    -11/73: the timesharing machine at the company that productized my
	packet switch code

I'm very fortunate to now have a lot of PDP-11's in my collection.
(Including an /04 and a /34, machines I never used BITD.) I had no contact
with PDP-11's for many years, but only a few years ago someone here gave
me an -11/84 (if I drove to Wisconsin to get it :-); I stopped off at my
in-law's house to overnight on the way back with it, and they later told
my wife it was the happiest they'd ever seen me!

	Noel