Modems and external dialers.

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Fri Jun 14 08:21:48 CDT 2019

On Fri, 14 Jun 2019 at 14:53, Noel Chiappa via cctalk
<cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> I was speaking from a user's perspective; I never did much coding under
> Windows (well, a fair amount under Cygwin, using only the portable I/O
> library, but that's not really _Windows_ programming).

Well, me too. I don't really program anything any more and haven't
since the end of the 1980s.

> From that perspective, 98SE was the sweet spot for me (I don't have any
> reliability issues, with the configs I run). I do have some XP machines,
> and the Windows 10 laptop, but most of mine run 98SE.

I am astonished. I never found 98SE a stable or reliable OS and was
glad to get rid of it.

I keep DOS boot partitions around on some of my machines. E.g. my
testbed Thinkpad X200 has a bootable primary IBM PC DOS 7.1 (not 7.01)
primary partition. (The others contain A2, Haiku and Devuan.)

But the recent kit mostly has Win10 around, just in case I need to
reflash a BIOS or root a phone or something. I never normally use it
-- they run Ubuntu normally -- but it's there if I need it. (After an
hour of installing updates, anyway.)