Modems and external dialers.

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Wed Jun 5 14:46:09 CDT 2019

On Wed, 5 Jun 2019, Eric Smith via cctalk wrote:

> The 1968 Carterfone decision did eventually result in customers being
> allowed to hook their own devices up directly to the phone line, but
> contrary to what a lot of online sources including Wikipedia claim, that
> didn't really happen until the FCC promulgated the Part 68 regulations in
> 1975.  The immediate reaction to Carterfone was that in 1968 Bell created a
> "foreign attachment" tariff, which allowed customers to lease the type CBS
> or CBT Data Access Arrangements (DAA), which included protective coupling
> circuitry, and connect their own devices to the network only indirectly
> through the DAA.

I remember well, seeing mention of Carterfone in a magazine (at a
newstand), at or shortly after the time.
I thought, "WOW! lots of aftermarket phones, better answering machines,
modems, not being asked to PAY for an extension, and neat stuff!  But, I
wonder how many years it will be before that moves from theoretical
possibilities to actually being able to connect?  How will TPC ("The
Presiden't Analyst") manage to make money off of it?  Will they add
special noises to phone lines to disrupt modems, or will they peddle
s'posedly better lines for data use?"

> There is very little detail on this available online, but I found that
> Google Books can show relevant excerpts from _Communciations Law and
> Practice_ by Stuart N. Brotman, 2006 printing (originally published 1995).
> See pages 5-19 and 5-20.

THANK YOU!!

Grumpy Ol' Fred     		cisin at xenosoft.com