setting reply to in VMS 5.x MAIL

Peter Coghlan cctalk at beyondthepale.ie
Tue Jun 4 12:40:18 CDT 2019

> > send mail as

> > and

> > VMS MAIL has no concept of reply-to headers.  If a "foreign mail protocol"
> > is being used from within VMS MAIL (in%, pmdf%, mx%, or smtp% for example),
> > that protocol may provide a way of setting a reply-to header, typically by
> > defining a specified logical name before running VMS MAIL.
> >

> > <snip>
> > ... smtp%
> > is provided by Process Software's Multinet SMTP client to add SMTP
> > capability
> > to VMS MAIL.
> >

> Peter
>
> I have Multinet SMTP and when I send a message externally I use
>
> SMTP%"bill at myemail.net"
>
> I looked within MULTINET and was able to edit the gateway rules but I did
> not see how to define a reply-to from the config menu.  I want the replies
> to emails generated by the VMS Mail server go through an external email
> server as a way to control SMTP hijacking.
>
> for example, if I log in as SYSTEM and send a message to someone it shows
> up as
> SYSTEM at MICROVAX3100.VINTAGECOMPUTER.NET     (the subdomain I have set for
> the server)
>
> I have the system blocking mail unless it comes from a single address (not
> listed here), which then forwards to the SYSTEM account.  The MULTINET
> server is set to only accept SMTP from the one domain I have set up for
> this purpose.
>
> So when someone replies to an email from the server I don't want the reply
> to come from the actual sender or it will bounce.  I want it to
> automatically reply-to the alias domain I have in place.    Works great
> except that a person needs to know to change the reply-to address to the
> alias.
>
> You showed me this:
> $ MULTINET CONFIGURE /SERVERS
> > SERVER-CONFIG> DISABLE SMTP
> > SERVER-CONFIG> RESTART
>
> ...is there a SERVER-CONFIG that defines reply-to?

Bill,

I dumped everything in my head about this topic into my previous email.  At
some stage, you need to pick up the manual (or download it from the Process
Software website) and read it.

I looked in the Multinet 4.3 Users Guide and found "Reply-to" in the index
referring me to page 8-10 in the Administrators Guide.  There I found:

Quote:

Specifying the REPLY_TO Header

The MULTINET_SMTP_REPLY_TO logical name lets you specify the value for the
RFC822 REPLY-TO: header.  For example to set your Reply-To: header to
FNORD at FLOWERS.COM, use the command:

$ DEFINE MULTINET_SMTP_REPLY_TO "FNORD at FLOWERS.COM"

This logical name only affects mail agents that use the SMTP% interface (for
example OpenVMS and DECWindows mail).

Endquote.

In case it is not clear, you should define this logical name in DCL before you
run VMS MAIL and it will then apply when you send mail to an address prefixed
by SMTP%.

I will add that you could probably use DEFINE /SYSTEM if you want this to
apply to all users on the system or you could put the command in a users
login.com if you only want it to apply to that particular user.  If you
want to get really fancy, you can use lexical functions such as for example
F$GETJPI(0, "USERNAME") to come up with a single logical name definition that
will work correctly for any user on the system without modification.

I used the Multinet 4.3 manual because it happened to be handy.  I imagine
the same applies any later version of Multinet and might also apply to some
but not all earlier versions.

I will also repeat the warning that I often give, that the SMTP mail interface
provided with Multinet is functional but not comprehensive.  My feeling is that
it is mainly there to be able to tick the box that says that SMTP is supported.
If you want a top class email setup, you should install PMDF, from the same
company.

Regards,
Peter Coghlan.