IBM 5160 with oddball MDA input/output card

Jules Richardson jules.richardson99 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 26 06:23:10 CDT 2019

Hi all,

Someone on one of the Facebook vintage groups found an IBM 5160 with an MDA
display for sale in Australia, except that it's a bit odd in that the
machine had what appears to be an MDA card, the output of which is then
connected via a short external cable to the input on another card, and then
an output that card is what's actually hooked up to the monitor.

The only internal photo of the machine is very poor, unfortunately. I'm
reasonably confident that the "first" card in the "mystery" chain is MDA,
it's full-length and alongside the DE-shell video output has the usual
DB-25 for parallel. The "mystery" card is also full-length, and there's
another full-length card immediately adjacent to it with no external
connectors - that one could easily be RAM, or the hard disk controller etc.
  but I suppose it's possible that the mystery item is actually a two-card
set.

Anyway, any guesses as to what it might be? The implication is that the
mystery card adds functionality to the MDA card (reminiscent of 3DFX boards
years later), but of course is operating within the confines of what the
MDA display's capable of.

cheers

Jules