Scotch 777 "blue label" tape blues confirmed

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Sat Jul 20 13:54:43 CDT 2019

On 7/20/19 10:18 AM, Mark J. Blair via cctalk wrote:

>> On Jul 20, 2019, at 9:38 AM, Chuck Guzis via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>>
>> your cleaning machine
>
> I do not have a cleaning machine. Do you suppose a cyclomethicone applicator fabricobbled into the tape path of a tape drive might work?
>
> I haven't encountered these sorts of issues in 9-track tapes yet, but I've certainly been frustrated with binder bleed and/or sticky shed when I tried to mess with a TK50 drive.

I don't think that would be a problem.  The stuff is inert and somewhat
volatile (somewhere around the volatility of water), so it will
evaporate eventually.  It leaves no residue.  Just don't spill it on the
floor or you'll have your own private slip'n'slide right there in your shop.

I've even used the stuff to recover data from those dreadful 5.25"
Wabash floppies.

--Chuck